Our email hosting plan allocates 5GB (5000MB) of email storage per domain name. This is enough for most people (this storage can hold approximately 66,000 text based emails), but for users who send or receive a large amount of emails (especially with attachments), their email storage may exceed this.
If email storage for a domain name exceeds 5GB, an additional monthly fee will be charged per extra GB of email storage.
Tips to keep your email storage low
- Do not send large attachments or screenshots via email as these count towards your email storage. Use a service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Hightail to send large files.
- When someone emails you a file with a large attachment, save the attachment to your computer, and then delete the email.
- If you send a lot of the same files to different clients, consider hosting them on your website, or a cloud service, and simply send a link to the file instead of attaching it.
- Keep emails succinct. Even though text emails do not take up a large amount of space, over a few years they can begin to take up a bit of space.
Ways to reduce your email storage
Before deleting any emails, we recommend to backup/export your emails so that you have a copy, just in case.
- Delete any sent emails with large attachments that you no longer need.
- Delete any emails you’ve received that contain large attachments that you no longer need.
- Delete any old emails that are no longer relevant or that you do not need anymore.
- Do you have an old email address or staff member that has left? Ask us to delete the email address, which will remove any emails stored under their account.
- Export any old emails that you may not need anymore, and then delete them from your inbox.
- Organise your emails into sub-folders. When you no longer deal with a client or supplier, delete the folder, which will delete all of those emails.
For information on how to manage your mailbox in Microsoft Outlook, click here.
For information on how to export emails in Microsoft Outlook, click here.
For information on how to view the size of messages in Thunderbird, click here.
Options for large email storage
If you do not with to delete any emails, or if you expect to store a large amount of emails over the 5GB allocation, there are a few options you may want to consider.
- Continue hosting with us. You will simply receive a monthly invoice for additional email storage. If your storage grows even larger, we have email storage packs which are discounted.
- Host your emails with another provider. Services such as Microsoft Exchange, or G Suite offer email hosting with much larger inboxes, and charge at a per user/email address basis. These are usually priced from $9.10 per email address per month. We can help set up and migrate your emails across, contact us and we’ll provide you with a quote.
- Store your emails on your local computer. We can provide you with information on how to change your email settings so that your emails are stored only on your local machine and not on our server.
This method is not recommended. If your computer’s hard drive failed, you would lose all of your emails and they may not be able to be recovered. This will also mean emails are no longer synced between your devices.