Stripe is our preferred payment gateway. Stripe allows customers to securely pay with their credit card without leaving your website. Stripe is fast, simple, and secure. Once you set up your account, you can provide us access to do the more technical steps, just let us know.
Setting up a Stripe account
- Navigate to dashboard.stripe.com/register
- Enter your email address, select a password, and click Create your Stripe account.
- Stripe will send a confirmation email. Check your inbox and click on the verification link when this arrives. You will be asked to log in again.
- In the sidebar, you will see an Activate your account link. Click on this or go here if you are logged in.
- Enter the required information about your business.
- Enter the bank account number you wish the money to be deposited into.
- Click Activate account. If everything is entered correctly you should see a message telling you your account is now ready live.
- Verify your identity by going here and uploading an image of your passport or driver licence. Stripe will not transfer money into your account until your identity has been verified.
- Click on the API link in the sidebar.
- In the sidebar, ensure View Test Data is turned off. You can check if this is turned on or off by clicking the View Test Data link. When it is turned off, it will not be highlighted and you shouldn’t see any sign of Test Data on the page.
- Provide us with the data in the Publishable key & Secret key rows and we can take it from there. The keys will start with either pk_live_ or sk_live_. If these have the word ‘test’ in any of these, follow the above step until they do not include the word ‘test’.
- Navigate to the webhooks section, and create an endpoint by pasting in the following url (replacing yourwebsite.co.nz with the URL of your website) https://yourwebsite.co.nz/?wc-api=wc_stripe
Retrieving money from your Stripe account
Stripe will automatically deposit money paid into your Stripe account directly into your nominated bank account seven days after the payment was made. Easy!
Cost of using the Stripe payment gateway
This payment gateway has no set up costs, and no recurring fees. There is a transaction fee, which at the time of writing is 2.9% + $0.30 NZD per transaction. Click here for the current rates.
Stripe also requires that your website is secured with SSL. For more information on SSL, see this article.